Sunday 12 February 2012

Adobe Reader X: hand tool as default tool

I've started using Adobe Reader X 3 weeks ago. In the last 10 days, I noticed that I had to choose the hand tool every time I opened a document. I checked Edit > Preferences. But no help. So, a fix has been looked for in the web. Finally, I found it. The following steps should be done in order to select the hand tool as a default one.

1. Run Regedit (the registry editor)

2. Go to key HKEY_USERS\\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\Selection , where refers to the user you want to change (it will look something like this: S-1-5-21-1030456098-1922302732-3321231120-1000)3. The "Selection" key contains the following values:
"bShowKeyboardSelectionCursor"=dword:00000001
"iColumnSelectHalo"=dword:00000000
"bHandSelects"=dword:00000000
"bImagesFirst"=dword:00000000
"iSnapshotResolution"=dword:00000048
"bUseFixedSnapshotResolution"=dword:00000000
"aDefaultSelect"="Select"

4. Delete all values except for the "aDefaultSelect"

5. Change the data in "aDefaultSelect" from "Select" to "Hand"

6. That's it!


Credits: kpapani from http://acrobatusers.com/forum/general-acrobat-topics/default-text-selection-tool/

There is another fix that claimed to be working in that page too.

Edit > Preferences > Accessibility > Other accessibility options
Clear check boxes of "Always display the keyboard selection cursor".

I could not try it as my check box is already cleared from applying the registry fix. However, it would be a nicer work if we do not have to work with registry.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the in program v registry fix. The following did work for me

    Edit > Preferences > Accessibility > Other accessibility options

    Clear check boxes of "Always display the keyboard selection cursor".

    What a maddening issue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks it works

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU!!! I was going nuts soon using Reader X in my office! Now it is fixed. Used the accessibility options trick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, finally a solution that works. Amazing how Adobe can't help with this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The accessibility trick worked for me too!... thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good work. Found that the "Always display the keyboard selection cursor" check was the culprit...

    It's amazing that such a simple PDF reader has so many options.
    Surely this could be simplified.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. registry fix worked only, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot. Disabling "Always display the keyboard selection cursor" option worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks, man!! It worked..
    Mine is Adobe Reader version 9 and Windows 7. In the registry, there is no 'Softwares' listed right under HKEY_USERS. So I searched for Adobe Acrobat. Rest was as you said.

    How did you find this out?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you VERY MUCH! It also worked for me using Acrobat XI Pro, although I had to find the right place to go in the registry. But the deletion of those entries worked perfectly. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this has been driving me crazy ever since Adobe Reader X - THANK YOU. Works well

    ReplyDelete
  12. man, it still works.!
    (after so many years..i know :-D )

    ReplyDelete