Thursday 27 May 2010

Installing Virtual Machine in Ubuntu 10.04

I am more familiar with VMWare than VirualBox on Windows. So, when I think about installing virtual machines on Ubuntu or Linux, I would choose VMWare over VirualBox. When I was about to download VMWare Workstation, it needs a paid license. Since I dont know if cracks or patches area available for Ubuntu like in Windows, I choose VirtualBox to save some time. Yeah, time to play games indeed.

Then I downloaded debian package file(virtualbox-3.1_3.1.8-61349~Ubuntu~karmic_i386.deb) from VirtualBox website. Actually, I have Ubuntu Lucid and I downloaded Karmic one before the upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04. Anyway, I installed that one and there was no problem. It also provides features like taking snapshots of machines, and adding specific hardwares such as audio, network, storage(hard drive, cd-rom, iso files),serial ports, USB, shared folders with the host machine, etc. So it is just enough for my needs. I just need access to Internet and USB.

No comments:

Post a Comment