Wednesday 26 May 2010

Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04

I installed Ubuntu 9.10. A few days ago, I wanted to upgrade to 10.04 for no particular reason though I worried that NS2 may not work properly with the new one. Later I found out the upgrade didnt make any problem to it. It is working fine like before. Anyway, my desktop effects ran away with the upgrade.

It is not a problem but I am used to seeing those animations on opening, minimizing, or closing windows. So, I tried to google the fix. Anyway, I found nothing related to my graphic card nVidia 8400GT. I followed some steps and tried to re-enable visual effects, it was useless. Though I met a suggestion that I should remove every package related to nvidia in Synaptic package manager. As I did not have any other choice, I followed that one.

After I removed every package that includes nvidia, it has some problem at the log on screen. I do not remember the particular error or warning message, but it is related to display. After logging in, the desktop seemed to be normal. Then, I went to Synaptic package manager again and install packages related to nvidia again. I restarted and then, the setting became available again.

I do not really know how it happened. It could be some initial configurations that have been done during the installation is not compatible with one version of Ubuntu to another. So, that is why re-installation fixes that. That is my assumption, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment